Video Credit: Healthy Tomorrow Foundation’s Make Your Move Campaign
Make Your Move Antigonish is an initiative to mobilize our community to create a cultural shift where simple movement becomes a social norm. We want to create a healthy, vibrant community, one people want to visit and live in, where residents regularly connect with each other, and where people are moving and playing around every corner.
Join us in our efforts to create a vibrant future with a better quality of life!
Today’s Community Champion is Nathan Giroux, a physiotherapist at Xcel Physiotherapy. See how Nathan’s message ties into Make Your Move Antigonish!
Tips To Move
Make Your Move Antigonish celebrates movement in all areas including: at school, at work, at home, in community and to get places. Here are some quick ideas to get you started today.
- Encourage learning activities that incorporate movements
- Invite students to hop, skip, roll, and jump around in the hallways when moving between classes
- Create separate eating and play times during recess and lunch breaks
- Celebrate Diversity! include all kinds of movements.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator if you can.
- Instead of emailing or calling a colleague, walk/roll to their office
- Use the printer/washroom/water fountain farthest away from your desk
- Walk, roll, or stand during meetings
- Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!
- Ditch the dishwasher and wash dishes by hand
- Dive into some DIY projects
- Do some yard work
- Get your hands dirty and plant a garden
- Use the local trails for walking, rolling and biking
- Invite a neighbour to go for a walk or roll
- Visit a U-pick farm
- Go for a swim
- Borrow some equipment from the recreation loan programs! Like snow shoes, skiis, and walking poles if your able to try something new!
- Organize/participate in a community clean-up
- Go birdwatching
To Get Places
- Walk, run or roll
- Bike or trike
- Park farther away from your destination and get some extra steps/ rolls in
- Park in a central location so you can walk or roll to multiple stores to do your errands